Fuel Saving Factoids from CarCare.org
LOOKING FOR A MECHANIC YOU CAN TRUST? LOOK NO FURTHER!
OC AutoMedics of Rancho Santa Margarita is your Dealer Alternative auto repair shop providing Affordable Auto Repair and Automotive Services with experience and expertise to getting your automotive repair or services Done Right the First Time!! Learn the following fuel saving facts to prolong your car’s life:
- 147,000,000 gallons of gas each year vaporize into the atmosphere due to misused or missing gas caps.
- Under inflated tires increase rolling resistance and waste gas- like driving with the parking brake not fully released.
- Keeping up with regular vehicle maintenance can improve gas mileage by an average of 4.1 percent.
- Fixing a serious maintenance problem, such as a faulty oxygen sensor, can improve your mileage by as much as 40 percent.
- Slipping automatic transmission can reduce fuel economy by one mile per gallon.
- Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10 percent.
- A dirty spark plug causes misfiring and that wastes fuel, up to two miles per gallon.
- Aggressive driving can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent on the highway and 5 percent in the city.
- Cooling system thermostat that causes the engine to run too cold can reduce fuel economy by two miles per gallon.
- Unused roof rack and accessories add weight and drag-decreasing fuel efficiency.
- A loose gas cap can allow fuel to evaporate, up to two miles per gallon.
- Gas mileage decreases rapidly above 60 miles per hour.
- Several short trips taken from a cold start can use twice as much fuel as a longer multi-purpose trip covering the same distance.
- Idling gets 0 miles per gallon.
- An extra 100 lbs in the trunk reduces fuel economy by 1-2 percent.
- Dirty or substandard oil can reduce fuel economy by one mile per gallon.
- Improve gas mileage 3.3 percent by keeping tires inflated to the proper pressure.
- Worn O2 sensor can reduce fuel economy by three miles per gallon.
| | | | | | |
Copyright © 2015 All rights reserved.